Sour Cream and Onion Crackers
A healthy crackers recipe with home-made sour cream and onion flakes. Crispy, crumbly and perfectly soft, the crackers are filled with goodness of oats and whole-wheat flour.
- 1 cup oats flour (instant oats ground to flour)
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- ¾ cup sour-cream (home-made)
- 2 tbsp onion flakes
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients (oats flour, whole-wheat flour, onion flakes, garlic powder, salt, baking powder) except sour cream.
Add in sour cream in parts of three (¼ cup each time) and get the ingredients together with hand to form a soft dough.
Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
Roll the dough on a flat surface and cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place the crackers on the baking sheet.
Bake the crackers for 10-15 minutes. Keep an eye on them after 10 minutes. Once they start turning brown, flip the crackers and bake for another 3-5 minutes.
Let them cool and store in an airtight container. Enjoy with a cup of tea, coffee or your choice of drink.
- You may use store-bought sour cream instead of the home-made one. The consistency of store-bought cream is thicker and hence 2-3 tablespoon milk might be required to get the dough together.
- To prepare home-made sour cream, I added 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice to about ¼ cup milk (boiled and cooled). This mix was left to curdle for 5-10 minutes and then added to 250 ml fresh cream in a glass container. The container was then sealed and left for 24 hours at room temperature.
- The baking time may vary depending on thickness of the crackers. Keep a look for browning of edges to estimate if the crackers are done.