When your baker heart is craving to bake and it’s dinner time. What does one do? Feed the family or fulfill your creative desire?
On one such day full of dilemma, I decided to merge my baker and mommy duties and came up with this experimental veggie cake prepared using the random ingredients in my pantry. But, this one is definitely a keeper for decades.
Now, I am sure, all the mothers out there would relate to me when I feel kids are not well-fed till they are given their share of veggies and fibers. So this dinner recipe had to be whole wheat and full of vegetables. It is full of goodness from whole wheat, semolina, honey, veggies like capsicum, carrot, sweet corn and jalapeños.
Baking with whole wheat flour is healthier, mainly due to the fiber content, which will help stabilize blood sugar levels when consuming sugary pastries. Additionally, dietary fiber prevents constipation, lowers blood cholesterol and promotes weight loss. There is more nutritional value in whole-wheat flour than white flours. Whole-wheat contains more vitamins such as B1, B3 and B5. White flours have the same vitamins but lower in content due to the refining process.
Semolina flour is made from ground durum wheat. One of the best things about semolina flour is that it is a rich source of many important nutrients. It contains fiber, Vitamin B-complex, and Vitamin E, etc. and is zero in fat, saturated fats and trans fatty acids. It has high protein content and is low on fat. It also has low glycemic index that makes it great for diabetics as well as people who are on a weight loss plan. Semolina flour contains carbohydrates, which are important for the production of energy in your body. Semolina also contains selenium, which is an important antioxidant.
Honey has a long standing reputation of containing medicinal properties which are excellent for both skin and hair. It has abundant minerals and enzymes. Due to its acidic level, it is often used as an antibacterial and has antioxidants that ward off any free radicals (damaging cells) in the body. Honey also has a low hypoglycemic index that helps regulate your blood sugar levels.
Jalapeno peppers are crammed with essential nutrients like vitamin C. A diet rich in vitamin C boosts immunity and purges the body of cancer-causing free radicals. Jalapeno peppers are also good sources of antioxidants like Vitamin A and flavonoids that help protect your body from cancer-causing free radicals and help reduce pigmentation.
This veggie cake boasts of crispy top and a balanced sweet and savory flavor. The texture of the cake was just perfect. Being full of veggies and wheat and semolina flour, the cake is very filling and takes care of your appetite for long. The beauty of this recipe is you can always play around with the veggies and get a new taste every-time.
This cake was a perfect dinner recipe for us and is a great breakfast or tea time snack for people who love to have savory snacks with their hot tea. Do try out this yummy all-time favorite recipe and let me know how it turned out for you.
RECIPE FOR HEALTHY HONEY JALAPEÑO VEGGIE CAKE:
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
100 gm (1 stick) salted butter
1½ cups semolina flour (fine variety)
1½ cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (or freshly ground pepper)
1 cup tightly packed shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup plain yogurt
½ cup water
½ cup honey
¾ cup corn kernels
1 medium size capsicum, finely chopped
1 medium size carrot, finely chopped
½ cup jalapeños, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, sieve together semolina, whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and black pepper. Mix the dry ingredients well.
- Stir in about half of the cheese.
- In a bowl, whisk together the yogurt, water, honey and eggs until smooth.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. Do not over-mix. Keep aside.
- Heat a medium sized pan and add butter. When the butter is melted but not burnt add the corn kernels, chopped capsicum, carrot and jalapeños. Saute them for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and pour the entire contents of the pan into the batter and stir just until incorporated. Keep aside.
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC or 375ºF. Grease the baking pan with oil and dust with flour. Apply a parchment paper in the bottom of pan and pour the batter into the pan. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. I baked the content in two separate pans, a round cake pan and a loaf pan. You may use a single pan to bake the contents.
- Bake the contents in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or till the skewer comes clean. Let the bread cool on the wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Take out the baked load and cake and let them cool completely before cutting. Enjoy your bread. The bread tastes best when served warm. It may be served as it is or with a little butter or sauce.
Feel free to play around with this recipe to turn it into your ideal one. The cheese in this cake is just a flavor enhancing ingredient, so if you want a really cheesy cake, double the cheese. For sweeter flavor, increase the honey by ¼ cup. You may completely roast your veggies or add on a flavor of caramelized onions or mushrooms. For a basic savory cake with great flavor and texture, you may skip on the veggies. Whatever you do, I am sure this recipe will be a sure winner for you. Would love to hear all your experiences. Keep experimenting and happy baking!!