Celebrations and gatherings are incomplete without yummy food and delicious desserts. It was time for me and kids to meet our close friends after a long time and it definitely called for a celebration cake. We had a gathering of five toddlers and four mommies, and with toddlers around we had to ensure that something healthy is going in their stomachs and it is not something we have to run after them for. That is how I came up with the idea of baking this delicious cake, the recipe for which is inspired by Fruit and Nut Cupcakes by Anushruti from Divine Taste.
The cake was stuffed with goodness of whole wheat, jaggery, nuts (cashews, almonds and walnuts) and spices like cinnamon and cardamom. The honey icing blended wonderfully with the spices and gave a distinct flavor to the cake. The goodness of the combination of honey and cinnamon together was not only tasty but also an immunity builder for kids.
Baking with whole wheat flour is healthier, mainly due to the fiber content, which will help stabilize blood sugar levels when consuming sugary pastries. Additionally, dietary fiber prevents constipation, lowers blood cholesterol and promotes weight loss. There is more nutritional value in whole-wheat flour than white flours. Whole-wheat contains more vitamins such as B1, B3 and B5. White flours have the same vitamins but lower in content due to the refining process.
Jaggery is not chemically processed, so it is free from many chemical agents that are involved in industrial manufacturing of white sugar. Jaggery contains natural phyto-chemicals, which activates the digestion and helps in correcting digestive problems. It acts as a blood purifier and helps to eliminate toxins from the body. It helps to boost energy and is an aid for various health ailments.
Nuts are packed with health boosting nutrients. Almonds are naturally highest in calcium of all nuts and a source of Vitamin E, protein and healthy fats. Cashews are high in plant iron and protein, and a good source of healthy fats predominantly oleic acid (same as in olive oil). Walnuts are a rich source of the omega-3 fatty acid: alpha-linolenic acid, which is known to impact heart health and is linked to improved brain and memory function.
Honey has a long standing reputation of containing medicinal properties which are excellent for both skin and hair. It has abundant minerals and enzymes. Due to its acidic level, it is often used as an antibacterial and has antioxidants that ward off any free radicals (damaging cells) in the body. Honey also has a low hypoglycemic index that helps regulate your blood sugar levels.
Cinnamon is a highly aromatic and delicious spice commonly used to add a distinct flavor and aroma in baked goods. Cinnamon is loaded with antioxidants that protect the body from cell damaging agents. It helps the body to fight infections and repairs tissue damage. It is good for diabetics and it slows the breakdown of carbohydrates in the digestive tract. It also helps fight bacterial and fungal infections.
Honey and cinnamon are two of the most powerful kitchen ingredients that are commonly found in Indian households for various culinary as well as medicinal purposes. Honey is excellent if combined with cinnamon as they complement each other. They control sugar spikes by reducing triglycerides (type of fat in the blood) and are a good option for diabetics. Both honey and cinnamon are anti-inflammatory, also combat allergies and boost your immunity system. They are also a great combination for curing constipation.
With such great benefits from the ingredients and the amazing taste, the cake was a great hit with mommies and kids alike. Even the most picky eaters of the lot gave it a hands up which was the biggest appreciation for the recipe. This recipe is a must keep for kids especially around the changing seasons when their immunity goes for a toss and they don’t feel like eating healthy foods.
These smiles motivate me to keep going on a baking spree and feeding these happy souls. God bless us all. May I be blessed with more and more of such wonderful smiles all through my life. I hope this post will motivate you to gear up and try this healthy cake. Do let me know how it turned out for you. Happy Baking!!
RECIPE FOR EGG-LESS WHOLE-WHEAT NUTS CAKE WITH HONEY ICING
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
1.5 cup Whole-Wheat Flour
1 cup Jaggery Powder
1 cup Milk
1 cup Finely Chopped Mixed Dry Fruits (Almonds, Cashews, Walnuts)
1/2 cup Flavorless Vegetable Oil ( used Olive Oil)
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
4 Cardamom Pods, Peeled and Powdered
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
FOR HONEY ICING:
2 tbsp Honey
6 tbsp Icing Sugar
2 tbsp cold water
- Sieve whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon powder 3-4 times. Mix well and add cardamom powder. Keep aside.
- Mix jaggery powder, olive oil and half cup of milk in blender till jaggery dissolves.
- Add the remaining milk and vanilla extract to jaggery-oil-milk mixture.
- Fold in the flour mixture in step 1 in parts to the wet ingredients in step 3 to get a cake batter consistency. Do not overmix.
- Add 3/4th cup of chopped dry fruits to the batter and mix gently.
- Let the batter sit for a while till then preheat the oven to 160 degree Celsius/ 325 degree Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the cake pan by applying oil and dusting flour to the cake pan. Add a parchment paper to the base of the cake pan.
- Add the cake batter to the pan. Decorate the top of the cake batter with the remaining chopped dry fruits mixture. Pat the pan gently on the kitchen slab to remove any bubbles.
- Bake the cake for 35 min or until a skewer comes clean.
- Let the cake cool on wire rack for 5 min and take the cake out. Let the cake reach a warm temperature (warm enough to touch) before icing.
- Mix all the ingredients well for honey icing and pour over the warm cake evenly. Let the honey seep through the cake for few minutes.
- Enjoy your cake. Serve the cake warm or cold as per your liking. The cake tastes good both ways.